Saturday, December 7, 2019

Comparing Clays for use in moulds

There have been many experiments & YouTube videos 
comparing different types and brands of clay, that are used in moulds. 
I gained really good information but decided to do a test of my own, using the clays I have.
I'm working on a project that I want to use a mould to label 6 pieces that are on it.
I have a multitude of mostly Prima moulds but became discouraged with using clay.

For my test, I had two different types of clays, 
but I also bought a new clay that I was curious about, even though it had bad reviews.
Well to my delight, the new clay is FANTASTIC!


This is the Prima Vintage IOD Moulds "Object Labels 1" that I used.
I chose the mould at the top.
NOTE: I dusted the mould each time with Corn Starch using a paintbrush.


Here are the best samples from each type of clay used.
Note: I was testing the pliability and the Prima one is rigid, so it snapped. 





Starting with Prima re-design Paper Clay

Prima's Paper Clay is my least favorite. 
In fact, I do not like it at all and won't use it again. 
I've actually thrown it away.
NOTE: this product may have been discontinued & replaced with another one. I can't find it available on the internet.  Perhaps they have improved the product, but this one pictured above (in my opinion) is horrible. 

My personal opinion of Prima re-design Paper Clay:
1.  It takes a lot of kneading, even after adding some water, as directed.
2.  It doesn't have a smooth texture, so it takes a lot of time to work with it.
3.  It tends to rub off and stay on your fingers. 
4.  It dries very rigid....I chose to oven bake it for faster drying time and this may be the reason why.  I don't know for sure????
5. Although it picks up details well, I noticed very small cracks in some areas, which may have been caused from me not kneading it enough. Again, I don't know for sure????
6. The finished color is a clean white.
7. Removing it from the mould took a bit of effort, with a lot of bending of the mould.  
8. MADE IN CHINA for Prima Marketing (USA)
9. Size is 2.2 lbs and cost is $20-$25





Next is Sculpey Ultra Light Oven-Bake Clay
The Sculpey UltraLight is my 2nd choice and I would use it again.

My personal opinion of Sculpey UltraLight Oven-Bake Clay:
1. This clay takes some kneading, but not a whole lot. 
2. The texture is very smooth, making it easy to work with.
3. My fingers remained fairly clean while working with it.
4. What I LOVE the most about this clay is that it dries pliable and it's very lightweight.
5. I don't find that this clay picks up details completely.  Perhaps it would take more practice on my part.  I never could make a piece with 100% details in it. I made TEN pieces and ZERO have 100% of the details of the mould.
6. The finished color of this clay tends to be more beige-pink toned, especially next to other white clays.
7. Removing it from the mould took a bit of effort and I was afraid it would rip or disfigure in the process.
8. MADE IN USA by Polyform Products (USA)
9. Size is 8 oz. and cost is $9 -$13  (making this price calculate to $36 - $52 for 2lbs)



Last is Polyform Model Air (air dry clay)

The Polyform Model Air is my #1 choice!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
Note that there is some shrinkage that occurs during the drying process.

My personal opinion of Polyform Model Air Clay:
1. This clay barely needs kneading!  You can basically pick off a piece and start immediately rolling it in your hands.  
2. The texture is ultra smooth, making it the easiest clay to work with.
3. My fingers remained totally clean while working with it.
4. It dries semi-pliable and weighs the same as the Prima Paper Clay, which both are heavier than the Sculpey Ultra Light.
5. I find that this clay picks up details 100% completely without having cracks in it.
6. The finished color of this clay is a clean white.
7. Removing it from the mould was SUPER EASY!  One bend of the mould and the very detailed clay piece came right out!
8. MADE IN HOLLAND for Polyform Products (USA)
9. Size is 2.2 lbs and cost is $5 -$12, making it the least expensive of the three I tested!
   (I bought this at Michael's with a 50% off coupon and paid less than $6 incl tax)

A few other comments about this impressive Polyform Model Air Clay - 
~~~There are many bad reviews about it online.  I found out that this clay should be made in Holland in order for it to be the BEST one.  If you see made in Thailand, it will NOT be the same quality product.  
~~~The texture is so smooth that I simply pushed it into the mould with my thumb; took a palette knife and 'cut' across the top of it and the clay stayed inside the mould, while the excess came right off - first try every time!
~~~I made EIGHT moulds with this product in record time of 20 minutes!


So these are my personal opinions. 
Hope they help!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I appreciate every one of them!