Monday, January 15, 2018

Tip (update 1-16-18) - Removing Paper Bits from Thin Metal Dies

I have an inexpensive tip for you on a way that I came up with to remove paper bits 
from a thin metal die after you have made the die cut.
This applies to any cutting machine.
I own a Sizzix Big Shot.


I recently participated in a "round robin" die cut swap that involved quite a bit of work
because of the number of die cuts required and the number of participants.

I'm using Cheery Lynn Design's Border #2 for this example.
Here is my actual die.


Most of us know when using intricately designed dies, it's best to:
1. Add one to two pieces of cardstock in between the bottom cutting pad and the platform.
This will increase the thickness and thus produce more pressure for the roller to make a cleaner cut.

2. Place wax paper in between the die and the paper. 
This adds some 'slick' to be able to remove the die cut from the die more easily.

(note: I buy interfolded wax paper at Sam's Club.  Comes in a two box pack-500 sheets/box).  
These are generally used to wrap sandwiches/poboys.  
They are much cheaper than wax paper on a roll.  1000 sheets costs me around $9.
I cut the sheets to the size I need, so it takes "forever" to use them up! 

update: 2a. You can also use plastic grocery bags instead of wax paper.  
Just cut it to size for your die.  
I just learned this from my friend, Melissa.  
I tried it out and it works beautifully.
The only draw back is that static electricity causes the tiny plastic pieces to jump back onto the cutting pads and it takes a bit to get them loose - ha!
But I think this is an excellent alternative and also inexpensive (FREE).
Here is my 'sandwich' -
Magnetic Platform on bottom / Cardstock shim  / Acrylic Cutting Pad / Paper /
WAX paper / Die FACE DOWN / Acrylic Cutting Pad on top


Some of my dies have a 'gazillion' tiny bits of paper that remain in the die 
even when performing the above two steps!  I really needed a quick solution other than 
simply using a die pick because I had a BUNCH of die cuts to make for all of the participants!  


Soooooooo - here is what I did that worked beautifully for me!
To remove those tiny bits of paper, you usually rub the back of the die 
with your thumbs and they begin to fall....well, not always!  
With this 'technique' in mind, 
I remembered that I had stipple brushes which have very stiff bristles!!
They are very inexpensive...much more so than an all-in-one tool.
So, if you already have a die pick, save your money and buy a stipple brush or two instead!
Stipple brushes cost around $4 versus $15 for the tool.

These are the stipple brushes that I have.

I personally don't own an 'all-in-one' die tool, which I didn't know even existed!
I do already own a die pick, but I had to improvise.  
What I learned in this die cut swap is that the brushes on the all-in-one don't work that well.  
I'm certainly not wasting my money, especially since I have this technique figured out!


Here are photos showing you the process I performed using a stipple brush.

In this example: The die cut is made and all of the paper remains in the die.

 Turn the die over, holding it over a trash can. 
(very important so that your lovely craft room doesn't become riddled with tiny bits of paper!)
Begin briskly rubbing with the stipple brush (with some added pressure) 
to the back of the die and then hear all of those 
tiny bits of paper just rain down into the trash can!
It takes just a couple of minutes, if that.

This is the result after stippling the backside of the die and then removing the die cut off of the die.  
There are barely any paper bits left!

To the remaining 'stuck' paper bits, use your die pick to remove them.

Separate the wax paper from the paper die cut.

Voila! Here is your beautiful, intricate & completed die cut!

Thanks for reading my tip and I really hope it helps you!
Have a wonderful day, Lisa : )

8 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa! Thanks so much for sharing this tip. I'll be back in the craft room soon and the next time I have an intricate die to cut I'm using this tip! And thanks again for all the beautiful die cuts. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Barbara, I'm so happy that this helps in some way! And especially that you enjoyed the die cuts I sent you! Bless your sweet heart! Lisa

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed!

      Delete
  3. Great tips, plus you made me smile! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I could help, and thank you so much for the shout out! I got the tip from a youtube from sizzix so I can't take the credit. Thanks for the tip about the brush. I just cut a bunch of die cuts a few nights ago,it's kind of tedious if you're trying to make a lot. What kind of paper do you use? I like Bazill ,it has some texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! In this particular case, I used regular white cardstock that I buy at Sam's Club :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I appreciate every one of them!