Thursday, November 23, 2017

Tutorial - Custom Die Cut & Shaker

Let me explain exactly what I mean when I say a "custom die cut".

I recommend picking out a symmetrical die with a straight, non-intricate design.
In this example, I used the Spellbinders Die Set Labels Twenty Two.

See the symmetry in them?

In my example, I needed a rectangle but I didn't want it to be 'ordinary'. 
I wanted it to have shapely ends - something with interest.
Since the Labels Twenty Two dies are square,  
 let me show you how I achieved this look!



1. Cut the paper to the desired size. 
(in this example, I cut my paper 3-1/2" wide x 6" long).  
Using the 2nd largest die in the set, I placed the paper & die on my Sizzix magnetic platform 
and rolled through the Big Shot ONLY HALF WAY (meaning half the size of the die).
Then I turned the paper around, placed the die & ran it through ONLY HALF WAY 
so that the other end of the paper would be die cut.

2. Snip off the decorative die cut ends so they are out of the way.

3. Now make a straight cut to form your rectangle.
You have made a custom die cut!

I chose to make a shaker with this custom die cut piece.  
Many of you already know how to make shakers, 
but here are my personal how-to instructions for those that may not.

Shaker Step #1
Using the 2nd smallest die in the Labels Twenty Two set, 
I die cut where I wanted the shaker part to be, which is in the center.

Once the die cut piece is finished, now you are ready for Step #2.


Shaker Step #2
Adhere a piece of acetate over the die cut area on the backside of the paper 
so that you have a window to see the goodies inside.
(I bought acetate sheets, however, you can also save up acetate pieces that are used in 
some crafting packaging or even plastic covers from desserts, etc.)

Note: I like to use Scor-Tape instead of liquid glue to adhere the acetate.


Shaker Step #3 -

In this example I used foam tape to line the cut out area of the shaker.
When using foam tape, you have to make sure to closely & very tightly place the pieces together 
so that no gaps exist that would allow the goodies to fall out.  
This is placed on top of the acetate.

You can also use foam sheets (usually found in the children's craft section).  
Although foam sheets seem easy to use, you must make sure that it glues tightly to the edges 
of the die cut area, otherwise the goodies will become lodged just under it.
I personally find that foam tape is better, less messy & no worries.

Depending on how large the shaker goodies are will determine if you need to 
double or triple layer your foam sheets or foam tape; one on top of the other.
(NOTE:  Foam tape is about double the thickness of foam sheet)

In my example, I didn't need to double my foam tape.


Shaker Step #4 -


Shaker Background that does NOT Require Centering:
If your shaker background doesn't requiring 'centering' of any sort, you can actually pour in the goodies at this point, while the paper is laying flat with the foam tape facing up.  
I always add a little glue to the foam tape for added hold before adhering to the backing.


Shaker Background that REQUIRES Centering:
If your shaker background needs to be centered, as in my example, don't add the goodies yet!  
Add the glue to the foam tape (NOT to the top piece! See Step #5). 
Turn your piece over where you can see through the acetate window to center & adhere your background.  

HOWEVER, leave the top foam tape UN-ADHERED until Step #5 is completed.

Shaker Step #5 -

After centering your background piece and adhering it, it's time to add the shaker goodies!

Using your finger or thumb, gently 'open up' a space that you can pour your goodies through.
Once the goodies are added to your liking, securely seal the top closed.



You've created a shaker!!

Now add glue or Scor-Tape to the backside and adhere your piece to your card.

Thanks for viewing my tutorial!
I hope it helped give you some ideas of your own to try!
Have a great day!
Lisa : )

2 comments:

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I appreciate every one of them!