Thursday, November 23, 2017

Tutorial - Magnetic Flap Envelope

Hi everyone!  This is my tutorial on how to make a magnetic flap closure envelope!

First, I made a pocket envelope. 
Very simple.

Step #1
(These are the same basic steps as shown in my pocket envelope tutorial).
First, decide the size of your pocket envelope and then cut it accordingly.

Step #2
Determine the 'thickness' of your pocket envelope and score according to size.

Step #3 
Burnish all scored lines.

Step #4
Snip the 'tabs' that will be folded & hidden inside the envelope.

Step #5
Make sure that everything folds and fits properly together.

Step #6
Now, Scor-Tape all of the edges.

Step #7
Now measure, cut & score your envelope flap closure.
You will need part of it to be adhered to the back of the envelope 
with the 'flap' being in the front.
Leave enough in the measurement to be able to score it to match the thickness of the pocket envelope.  
In my example, that is 3/4".

Step #8
Now you need to decide where the magnets will be placed on both the flap & the envelope.
I placed the un-adhered flap over the envelope and then marked where 
the magnets would be placed by puncturing a small hole with a die pick. 

Be careful not to poke through all the way to the other side of the envelope.



Step #9
Now I glued the magnet that goes on the inside of the envelope.
This is done BEFORE you adhere the envelope sides together.

Step #10
Now you can adhere the envelope sides together to form the pocket envelope.


Step #11
Now glue the flap magnet in place right over where you punctured the small hole.

Step #12
Now you can adhere a decorative piece on the flap magnet to cover up the hole.  

Step #13
Scor-Tape the backside of the flap that will be placed on the BACK of your envelope.

Step #14
Lastly, adhere the flap to the envelope!


Now you can decorate to your heart's content!
This is my completed pocket envelope with magnetic flap closure.

Thanks so much for viewing my tutorial!
I hope you've learned something new today and hope you can come back again!
Have a great week!
Lisa : )

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful envelope Lisa! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tracy! I really appreciate it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I would see this and think I could NEVER do something like this, but you made it look doable. Thank you so much for posting the instructions...I may get over my intimidation with your guidance LOL!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're such a doll Carrie! This is the first time I've ever made a magnetic closure. I just envisioned it and tried it...and it worked! I photographed along the process (in case it all worked, which it did). I appreciate your wonderful support! Lisa : )

      Delete

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I appreciate every one of them!