Friday, November 10, 2017

Tutorial - Pocket Envelope with a Tie Flap Closure


First decide what size your envelope is going to be.  
In this example, my envelope is 5-1/4" wide x 8" long (with the flap closed). 
The width inside is 1/2".
It comfortably fits a decorated card measuring 5" wide x  7" long.



So let's begin!



1. I needed the pocket of my envelope to be 1/2" wide to accommodate the decorations on the card.  
So, I scored my 12" scrapbook paper at 1/2" on the left side and at 11-1/2" on the right side.  
The center is at 6" so I scored a 1/4" on either side to equal the needed 1/2".  
Thus, I scored at 5-3/4" and 6-1/4".  



NOTE: 

Score the side that will be the inside of the envelope.  


2.  Now turn your paper and score at 1/2" (only on one side).  
This will end up being the bottom of the envelope, so make sure you are scoring the correct/desired side.



3. Burnish all scored lines for easier folding. 

4. Now it's time to test everything to make sure the envelope comes together with a perfect fit.
First snip the tabs as shown below.

NOTE

I always make sure to fold the sides away from the front of the envelope so that the seam will be at the back of the envelope.  


    5. Lay out your piece with the inside (side that will not show when folded) facing up. 
    On the left side, cut at the 4" mark horizontally across to the 2nd score line (in this case it would be the 6-1/4" center score line).  Then cut back up to the top - cutting off this piece completely.
    Also, cut the scored piece to the right of the flap.  

    NOTE:
    You must create new scored lines for the flap. 
    Score 1st along the same line as the rest of the envelope (4" from top) 
    and then just 1/2" above that.  
    Therefore, you will be scoring at the 8" mark when you lay the whole page on your scoreboard; then the next score mark will be at the 8-1/2" mark.

    Now it really looks like a flap!



    6. You need to decide where you want the ribbon to tie off to keep the envelope flap down.  
    First find the horizontal center on the front of the envelope and mark where you wish to put the eyelet hole.
      
    In this example, the center is at 2-5/8" (which is center for 5-1/4" wide).  
    Mark the spot where you will punch a hole. 
    My Crop-a-Dile wouldn't reach that far, so I had to use my craft hammer & hand punch instead.





    7. Now it's time to glue on the eyelet.  

    NOTE
    Do NOT fasten the eyelet. Just glue it to the paper.


    8. Adhere a brad or other decorative piece to the eyelet shaft 
    that is sticking above the paper on the front side of the envelope.  
    This is where twine or ribbon will wrap around to hold the envelope flap down.



    I used a large jeweled brad.



    9. Now it's time to put the pocket envelope together!

     Use Scor-Tape or any double sided tape on all inside scored pieces. 
    (these will be covered & hidden when the opposite scored pieces are adhered to them)

    I prefer to fold down the pieces away from the front of the envelope (towards the back side).   



    10. Seal up all sides to create a seamless pocket envelope ready to be decorated!



    11.  Now you can decorate your pocket envelope as desired!
      

    Be sure to include twine or ribbon so that the flap can be tied down. 

    I simply glued my ribbons with a flower on top.
    You can do the same eyelet technique described in #7 
    or a whole host of other creative ways!

    I also lined the edges and the flap with pretty lace. 


    Thanks so much for your interest in my tutorial!
    I hope the instructions & photos were clear enough so that maybe you can give it a try!
    Have a great day!
    Lisa : )

    4 comments:

    1. I am so glad you posted a tutorial for this! I was looking at the construction of this when I received it and was trying to figure out how I could make one! Such a special gift :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Carrie! I hope you make one and find an easier way and then teach me - ha ha!

        Delete
    2. Beautiful pocket envelope! Great tutorial!

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I appreciate every one of them!