Thursday, December 15, 2016

Reindeer Shaker Card for Christmas 2016

WOW!  So hard to believe that another year has gone by and it's time to make Christmas cards again! 
This is the 2nd year that I have designed & handcrafted Christmas cards to send to a few special people.  
It's challenging and so much fun to create my own design. 
 

I made 15 cards in 'assembly line' fashion, taking one step and applying it to all of the cards, 
then moving to the next step and so on.    

Shaker cards are made in different ways using different techniques, 
so let me show you how I created mine.

Step 1 - gathering all supplies & computer printing:

All supplies are pre-cut & ready for assembly.

Computer printing is done first;
then embossing of snowflake stamps
A dated sentiment is printed on the backside


Step 2 - preparing the top decorative piece for the shaker:

Pre-cut squares of acetate are glued in place on the backside
and are centered over the circle die cut area.
This is the window for the shaker part.

All rings are adhered to the front side. 
These are die cut using two circle dies placed one inside the other, hence producing a ring.


















The shaker part of the circle die cut has to be lined with foam tape to keep the goodies inside. 
The rest of the card below the circle needs foam tape to make it the same height as the shaker part.

Step 3 - Adhering & decorating a background center focal point:

An artistic swirly Christmas tree was printed on white cardstock; cut to size;
then adhered to become the focal point inside the shaker part of the card. 
Tiny red pearls were used as ornaments on the tree.

Step 4 - adhering & leaving room to add glittery goodies:


I adhered my decorative piece to the front of the card, leaving a small area of foam tape with
its backing still on so it would not adhere to the card, allowing goodies to be added inside. 
I did this by pouring the goodies from a paper cup through the small opening. 
Once they were added, I removed the backing from the foam tape using my tweezers and then sealed it tight.

Step 5 - Bow Embellishment: 
I made cute bows by hand with some wired tinsel ribbon to decorate the top of the circle shaker.    

ok - now this is hilarious....and absolutely must be shared with you!
My cute little bows kept mysteriously 'disappearing' from my scrap table! 
I soon found out that my kitty, Lucy (aka "Lucy The Bad") was stealing them to use as play things
and also to place them in her most favorite hiding spot.....
the water bowl!  LOL!!
Ok, maybe just 'cat people' will understand this >^..^<


Final Step 6 - Adhering the pretty reindeer die cut to the card:




Here are some close ups -  




Thanks for visiting...and have an especially wonderful Holiday Season!
Merry Christmas!  Lisa : )

 

Products used:

Michael's - Glitter Swirly Cardstock; teal blue & red cardstock; Silver Tinsel embossing powder
Hobby Lobby - Red wired tinsel ribbon
Scor-Tape 
Elmer's Foam Mounting Tape
Gary M. Burlin & Co. 7" x 9" acetate sheets
Want2Scrap - Red Baby Pearls

BoBunny clear stamps -

Midnight Frost
Powder Mountain
Spellbinders dies - Holiday Reindeer & Sleigh

Spellbinders dies - Standard Large Circles

3 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial!! This card is just beautiful, and as a tutorial addict, I always love to see how things are done. Love the pic of Lucy's bow!! LOLOL--what a character!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tutorial was wonderful. And very helpful as I have wanted to create a shaker card and other tutorials required a fuse tool. Thanks Lisa. I am now going to bookmark this to have on hand. Beautiful card!! Hugs ~~ Mary longberry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I appreciate every one of them!