Friday, November 28, 2014

Chit & Josephine

Hi everyone! 
Today I’m sharing a layout of my Great-Great maternal Grandparents, Chit & Josephine Hebert, (‘He’ is pronounced like the letter ‘A’; and ‘bert’ like bear).  I don’t know the date that the photo was taken, but as you can see, apparently the original had cracked down the middle and was taped together.  This, along with the many blemishes, really maintains the vintage age of the photo.  I distressed the photo using a wire brush. I sure wish I had the original, but either way, it is way cool! 

After pondering for quite a long time trying to decide how to scrap this photo, I saw Heather Jacob’s beautiful vintage layout “LOVE YOU, which can be found on her awe inspiring blog, Art & Life.  Her influence really helped me create this layout and I was also able to use some of her techniques!  Check out her blog to discover beautiful creative art!   Thank you so much Heather for your continued inspiration!
 

Plain kraft paper is perfect for a vintage background!   The Paper Studio’s “Haberdashery” paper collection is all kraft paper, with only one side printed, so I was able to use a plain side.  From this collection, I chose prints containing jet black (black really ‘pops’ on kraft paper) and red brick tones.  The stamps & inks used on the main background are listed at the end of the post.

Here is what I did with the printed papers I chose:
  • tore & distressed black & red floral prints to go under the photo in the focal area
  • die cut oak leaves in black w/kraft colored text (oak trees are very prevalent in Louisiana)
  • made a tag shape using black floral print
  • cut a couple of wavy pieces in black floral print for edging the LO
  • cut hexagon shapes in black and red prints (applied some to chipboard)
  • printed the LO title on kraft color with tiny black printing
To start, I distressed and inked a piece of gray chipboard giving it the color of antique linen; then applied crackle just along the edges.  (Heather Jacob's technique to use a palette knife to avoid brush strokes)


After the crackle completely dried, Vintage Photo Distress Ink was used along the edges and on the crackle area to darken and enhance the cracks, wiping off excess ink (technique used by Heather Jacob).  I LOVE this effect!  I then darkened the very outer edges with Distress Ink Black Soot for a more dramatic look.  
The earth tone cosmos daisies in this close up are from Wild Orchid Crafts. 
 
Check out how awesome the crackle turned out!  Soooooo vintage!

After rummaging through my stash, I chose various metal embellishments, flowers and chicken wire chipboard to decorate with.  


Chrysanthemums from Wild Orchid Crafts were recolored using Lindy’s Stamp Gang Moon Shadow Mist Bucket o’ Blood Red.   I rubbed some Gold colored wax on the dark brown berry stem and added a gold metal Fleur de Lis safety pin.

I put together a flower cluster and hung a metal bird nest on a swivel clasp for a unique look.  A hexagon shaped chipboard was inked jet black and Antique Linen Distress Stickles applied.

The title was printed and placed inside an ornate metal plate.
 
Thanks so much for visiting and I hope you have a wonderful day!  Lisa : )

Products used:

Prima – Ingvild Bolme Distress Tool
Ranger Distress Crackle – “Clear Rock Candy”
Tim Holtz Distress Inks – “Antique Linen”, “Black Soot”, “Vintage Photo”
The Paper Studio – “Haberdashery” collection
Bo Bunny stamps – “Distressed Textures” (chicken wire & corrugated texture)
    ~used Tim Holtz Distress Inks “Black Soot” and “Vintage Photo”
Recollections cling stamps
    ~used Colorbox Pigment ink “Red Barn”
The Dusty Attic – “Chicken Wire Panel”
    ~used Tim Holtz Distress Ink “Black Soot” & Distress Stickles “Antique Linen”
Tim Holtz Alterations Die – “Tattered Leaves”
Metal embellishments:
    ~Tim Holtz idea-ology “Ornate Plates”
    ~Michael’s – Fleur de Lis safety pin; bird nest charm; oak leaf & acorns
    ~The Paper Studio Spare Parts – swivel clasp; metal clock; antique brad (used in the clock center)
Prima – “Wood Embellishments” (clock)
Floral:
    ~Wild Orchid Crafts – earth tone Chrysanthemums; brown/white mix Cosmos Daisies
    ~The Paper Studio Mixed Media – “Burlap Sunflowers”
    ~The Paper Studio Spare Parts – “Pink Vintage Paper Flowers”
    ~Hobby Lobby – brown berry spray
Lindy’s Stamp Gang Moon Shadow Mist – “Bucket o’ Blood Red”
Viva Décor Inka Gold - "Gold"
 

5 comments:

  1. Lisa, this is gorgeous! You've put so much gorgeous detail into every page element, from the tearing and distressing, to the crackle technique around the photo, to recoloring the flowers and berry stems. You really put a lot of thought into your elements such as the Oak leaves representing Louisiana. It caught my eye right away on my blog reading list before I even saw your name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! That crackle finish did turn out amazing. I really like the twine flowers and how you coloured the chrysanthemums, they really add to the lovely shabby chic style of the layout and vintage photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful photo and page, love your description of your techniques! Thanks for sharing. The crackle looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow .. so rich earthy and oozing with texture and magic ... you inspire me x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh! Such a gorgeous, vintage page! I love the crackle effect you added, it really adds to the vintage look!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I appreciate every one of them!