Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Bless his little heart

After seeing beautiful layouts created by fellow scrappers using the perfectly grungy papers in the Prima Timeless Memories collection, I had to have them!  They are exactly what I’ve been looking for!  I’ve wanted to scrap my Dad as an infant for quite a long time, but held off, waiting for the right papers to come along.

This is the first of two layouts I’m creating of 1927 photos taken of my Dad before he was a year old. Here he is holding on and drinking from the water faucet outside. 
 
I decided to leave the photo in its original color, but distressed the edges with a wire brush.  The title is what Dad’s sister, Mamie, wrote on the bottom of the original photo. Dad was the last born of seven children, weighing 1-1/2 pounds at birth and having a shoe box as his first bed.  Can you imagine?!  Dad lived until age 84, just missing his 85th birthday, and was 6 feet tall.  Amazing! 
I played around with the background quite a bit.  Clocks were stenciled in three ways.  The first ones to the left of the photo were stenciled with Prima Clear Crackle, followed by Lindy’s Stamp Gang Moon Shadow Mists Golden Doubloons & Mystic Malachite.   

The clock on the right of the photo was stenciled by painting it with LSG Moon Shadow Mist Gossamer Gold.  I LOVE this look!


The three rusty colored clocks in the layout were Distressed inked with Rusty Hinge color.  Then the layout was stamped, sprayed and splattered.
 
Since I stenciled clocks onto the paper, I decided to use The Dusty Attic Roman numeral skeleton clock chipboard to place behind the photo.  It was one that I had previously painted but never used, so I heat embossed it with Distress colors Old Paper & Frayed Burlap.  Not quite satisfied, I added Distress ink Vintage Photo and misted it with water; allowed it to dry and then added Distress Stickles color Antique Bronze.  It was quite a bit of work to transform it to my liking.
A cluster of flowers, bow tie (sprayed with LSG MS Buccaneer Bronze-my most fave Moon Shadow Mist!) & an actual vintage safety pin from Mom’s sewing stash looked nice with the colors in the clock and just fit the 'little man' in the photo wearing his cloth diaper.  : )


I cut a piece from The Dusty Attic number panel, Distress inked with colors Antique Linen, Vintage Photo & Rusty Hinge; then lightly added Distress Stickles in Rusty Hinge color.  I outlined the outer edge of the number cluster with Distress ink Black Soot using a craft nib ~ something I picked up from my good friend and talented artist, Tracy Funk : )

The Dusty Attic Water Pump was colored with Distress inks Antique Linen, then Rusty Hinge; misted with water to activate the colors so they could be rolled around and mixed.   The grass on this chippie was heat embossed with Distress color Shabby Shutters.  The Dusty Attic Grass clusters on this layout were also heat embossed with the same color.
After the water pump was completely dry, I added a generous amount of Prima Clear Crackle and let it air dry.  Finally, a light topping of Distress Stickles in Rusty Hinge color was added to a few spots.


Here is the other flower arrangement with the small grass cluster.  The flowers were sprayed with LSG SB Saxifrage Olive Green & Canna Lily Burnt Orange.
The last technique I used was rough distressing along the edge of the layout so it would appear old and like crumpled paper.

Thanks so much for viewing my layout and reading the processes I used. 
I appreciate your visit and hope you have a wonderful day!  Lisa : )

Products used:
Prima – Timeless Memories collection
Kaisercraft clear stamp – Rocks
The Crafters Workshop 6x6 template – Time Travel
The Dusty Attic – Skeleton Clock Faces #DA043
                          Small Number Panel #DA1051
                          Grass Clusters #2  #DA0866
                          Water Pumps #DA0695
Prima Flowers – Parchment Petals "Scroll"
Wild Orchid Crafts flowers – Olive Green Open Rose & White Aster Daisies (sprayed with LSG SB retired color Saxifrage Olive Copper)
Petaloo – Chantilly velvet leaves (sprayed with LSG SB color My Mojito Green)
Lindy’s Stamp Gang Moon Shadow Mists:
   ~Golden Doubloons
   ~Mystic Malachite
   ~Gossamer Gold
   ~Buccaneer Bronze
Lindy’s Stamp Gang Starbursts:
   ~Saxifrage Olive Copper (retired)
   ~My Mojito Green
   ~Canna Lily Burnt Orange
Ranger Tim Holtz -
* Distress inks:
   ~Vintage Photo
   ~Antique Linen
   ~Rusty Hinge
   ~Black Soot
*Distress Stickles:
   ~Antique Bronze
   ~Rusty Hinge
*Distress Embossing powders:
   ~Shabby Shutters
   ~Old Paper
   ~Frayed Burlap
Prima Finnabair artExtravagance Texture Paste – Clear Crackle
Misc –
Mom’s stash - Vintage safety pin
Michael’s - fabric bow tie 
Hobby Lobby - fabric ribbon & metal clock face

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Lisa! Such a sweet photo and cool layout. Love the distressing, the grungy finish on the chipboard and all the clock stencilling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this has so much rustic gorgeousness .. love x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I appreciate every one of them!