Friday, October 24, 2014

Salty Alice 1909

Welcome and thanks for visiting today! 
I found this really cool photo on Pinterest, which referred back to shorpy.com. 
 
The year is 1909.  Girl “newsies” are waiting to pick up the daily newspaper for delivery.  The tallest girl on the right is Alice Goldman and was known to be a bit ‘salty’; using foul language.  Think about it though…can you even imagine what it must have been like for a girl during that time to be on the streets doing a ‘boy’s’ job?  WOW!  I think they were very brave and probably had to fend for themselves!  Good for these girls!

 

I really love the light aqua tone in this paper by Pink Paislee.  It had a lot of printing on it about butterflies, so I toned it down with a 'white-wash' of gesso.
Once I knew where I was going to place the photos and embellishments, I stenciled some brick; used Distress inks; then finished with microbeads to mimic the holes seen in the bricks in the photo.
For interest, I thought it would be cool to include a larger duplicate photo converted to a complete vignette, inking the edges with charcoal pigment ink.  

I found some news articles and advertisements from around that time and area in Hartford, CT and its suburb, Glastonbury. 
I find the style of writing and what they wrote about to be a little fascinating. 
I also decided to use laced burlap ribbon that I absolutely LOVE.  The roughness of the burlap reminds me of a ‘tomboy’ while the lace depicts ‘girly’.  No matter how tomboy these girls had to be, they were still girls! 
I found some large round buttons in my dear mother’s button stash.  They reminded me of coat buttons!  The girl on the left with the white muffler has her coat pinned together – poor thing!  So, I included safety pins in my design.
 
Thanks so much for the visit and I hope you have a wonderful day!  Lisa : )
 

Products used:

 
Pink Paislee ‘Butterfly Garden’ – “Dew Drops”
Cardstock – ‘natural’ marbled
The Crafters Workshop – 6x6 stencil “Mini Bricks”
Webster’s Pages – alpha stickers “Trendsetter”
Making Memories – alpha shimmer stickers ‘brun antique’
Wild Orchid Crafts – choc brown Cherry Blossoms & aqua Chrysanthemum
Pigment inks: Chestnut & Charcoal
Distress inks: Antique Linen & Vintage Photo
Recollections – metal clock, safety pins, butterflies, microbeads ‘Antique Copper’
Hobby Lobby – Laced burlap ribbon
Buttons – from my dear mother’s sewing stash

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous work! Love the vintage look of all the embellishments and the duplicate photo in the center!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I appreciate every one of them!